Some commonly asked questions and responses have been compiled on the Speech Pathology Australia website.
You may also be interested in the following specific areas:

How do I apply for services under medicare?
Your GP will determine whether you are eligible for an Enhanced Primary Care Plan (EPC)/ Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDM).
Criteria include:
  • A chronic condition - one that has been (or is likely to be) present for six months or longer.
  • Complex care needs - patients have complex care needs if they need ongoing care from a multidisciplinary team consisting of their GP and at least 2 other health or care providers (one of which may be a Speech Pathologist).

Under this plan a medicare rebate is available for a maximum of 5 services per patient each calendar year. 

Is there an age restriction on Chronic Disease Management (CDM) services?
No. Regardless of age a GP may determine that the patient's condition would benefit from a CDM service or services.

Do I need to claim my rebate back from medicare?
No. This can be done for you in the clinic. Your claim will be processed on the spot and there is no need to line up at your local Medicare office.

I have private health insurance. Can you process my claim for me?
Yes. Kate Salmon Speech Pathology uses HICAPS. HICAPS provides efficient and easy payment processing for your health fund payments. After your consultation your health fund card is simply swiped through the HICAPS terminal. Your claim is processed and you only pay the gap - the difference between the full fee and the amount paid by your health fund.
More information is available here: http://www.hicaps.com.au/patients/how-do-i-claim.html